Thursday, October 1, 2009

Embracing Fall


So I thought I was excited for fall. I love layers. Boots, scarfs, gloves... So I was excited for the change in season, until about 2 days ago. I was driving home and the traffic was horrible because the rain was coming down so hard. That's when it all came rushing back to me, fall in Seattle is not like what you see in the movies, it's just a LOT of rain. But I tried to think of the rain as soothing. I was somewhat successful until I got home to my parents house. They live at the bottom of a hill and have a driveway the slopes down to the garage. Their was so much rain that the garage was flooding! And to make things worse, I had a bunch of furniture sitting in the garage that I've been spending hours painting and re staining in preparation for my new condo. (still no for sure word on the condo, but I'm still hopeful.) My furniture was sitting in 3 to 5 inches of dirty, freezing cold water. I ran inside, slipped on my little sisters rain boots, grabbed a large bowl and headed out to bail out the garage in hopes of saving my furniture.
Once my mom and sister got home they started helping me bail out all the water. A neighbor was also kind enough to join in on the fun.
UGH! That's all I have to say about that. It looks like my dining table and chairs will be ok. Will's dresser is ruined, and a few other things have minor damage, but hopefully I can sand them down and repaint them and they'll look ok.


So in effort to get back into loving fall I was looking through this slide show of "leave crafts". I particularly love the 11th one. I think I am going to try to make something similar to the top butterfly. I think it'll be a fun project to go out collecting leaves with my son. I'll let you know how it goes.

2 comments:

  1. sorry to hear about the flooding and furniture. that is the worst part about the fall & winter at Mom & Dad's house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh! What a bummer! I hope you are able to save the furniture!

    Love the leaf art idea. Definitely post pics when you do them!

    ReplyDelete