Monday, November 16, 2009

Disaster turned into laughter

I've never been superstitious about Friday the 13th (and really I'm still not) but this last Friday, the 13th, made me question it for a bit.

Friday after work I planned on having a nice quiet evening at home, mostly by myself, other than a friend, Ryan, stopping by to help me hang some things. I started working on cleaning up my condo and putting things away as I'm still in the process of getting settled into my new place. While cleaning my bathroom I thought, "I should hang these pictures over my toilet. They're light, so I don't even need a nail, I'll just use a thumb tack."

I was straddling the toilet, trying to hang the pictures, when one of them slipped. It dropped straight down behind the toilet. The next thing I knew there was water spraying everywhere, at what seemed like a million miles an hour. Luckily when I had my inspection a few weeks ago the inspection guy showed me where the main water turn off was. I quickly turned off the main water, but my bathroom was completely filled with water and the water was beginning to go into my closet and bedroom. I threw down towels and began to clean up the mess. I used all of my (white) bath towels, so I went and grabbed the only other towels I had, the beach towels. Not a big deal, except in my panic to get things cleaned up I threw all the wet towels in the bathtub to deal with them later - not thinking about the wet red towel laying on the white towels. ugh.

Once the water was dried up I went to asses the damage. Right away, when I grabbed the cord to the toilet it sliced my finger open. Really?! ugh. It wasn't a bad cut but was at an angle, and needed a band aid on it to keep it closed. Naturally, I couldn't find any band aids.
Then I got a call from Ryan, who had been at the gym working out. He's said "are you ok?!" I said, "I think so." He says, "I keep getting emergency texts from you. 'my bathroom is flooded', 'I cut my finger', 'I can't find any band aids.'" He also said, "weren't you supposed to wait for me to help you hang things?... don't do anything else, I'll be there soon."

Feeling a bit relieved I decided I would change my focus and start making dinner. Rice and steak, no big deal right? Easy.

Ryan got there and I answered the door. I felt pretty UNcool. My hair a mess, my pants rolled up from wading through the water in my bathroom. I scrambled back into the kitchen to continue making dinner. My knifes were sitting on one part of the stove top, but out of the way of what I was doing. Unfortunately, I turned on the wrong burner, and melted my knifes. We sat down to eat and things just got worse. He said he liked his meat somewhat rare, but I mean this cow was still moo-ing. I threw them back on the pan (since I don't have a grill.) and tried to cook them longer. We tried eating them again, but finally gave up. *ugh, I felt like a loser*

We then realized that if we wanted to try to come up with a solution for the bathroom problem that we should head to Home Depot. We got there at 9:52, right as their closing announcements started. We quickly grabbed some parts that we hoped would work and were quickly ushered out by the employees who were anxious to get home.

We did what we hoped would be a good enough repair (which I found out the next morning did not work.) No fault of Ryan's as he was a bit rushed when we were at Home Depot trying to find a solution.

Finally, I tried to relax. But not before dropping the bag of dog food, when trying to fill up Decko's bowl, which resulted in dog food spilled all over the kitchen floor.

Eventually, we sat on the couch, and talked and laughed. (We had been laughing all night, but it was a bit different because earlier we were just laughing AT me.) After all of the ciaos of the night everything felt ok.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the laugh! Scott & I both laughed out loud reading this post.

    So when do we get to meet Ryan?

    ReplyDelete
  2. and now all your FB status updates make sense. craziness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this one sounded like one for the books. I'm glad your place didn't actually get flooded!

    ReplyDelete